Sunday, April 1, 2012

ROW80 Goals

Hello, all you wonderful people out there!!

I've decided to participate in A Round of Words in 80 Days, Round 2 for 2012. If anyone wants to know more about this program, you can check it out here: ROW80. Basically, it's a group of people agreeing to set a goal (or goals) that's reasonable for them and checking in on their progress twice a week for 80 days. They do four rounds a year, and the second one for this year starts April 2.

I'll be setting weekly goals. I like the idea of weekly goals better than daily since you get a little more wiggle room to fall behind (or get ahead) early and make it up (or chill) later on in the week.

Without further ado, here are my goals for the next 80 days so you can all help hold me accountable.

Write!!
1. I will write at least 1500 words a week. This may be on my fantasy novel WIP, romance novel WIP, short stories, or blog. Ideally, I will write at least 500 words a day, at least 3 times a week. I know, I'm aiming low, but I've had higher goals in the past and always fall short, get discouraged, then give up. So, we'll start here and see what happens.

2. I will complete a short story and submit it by the end of this round. This is a big one for me. I've just started writing seriously in the last six months or so, and I haven't completed any works yet. (Shocker, right?) I get lots of ideas, and have started a few projects, but have yet to finish a story so I don't really feel like I'm accomplishing anything. Therefore, I will write a short story, 1500-4000 words, and edit it into something I feel fantastic about and submit it somewhere it could potentially get published.

Edit
I will edit one chapter, or at least ten pages, a week of a full novel manuscript I'm editing for a critique partner. It's much more work than I first thought. (Show me your shocked face again!) But, surprisingly, it's also much more fun than I had thought. I love going back and reading it after I've made a whole bunch of little punctuation, spelling, or word order changes and seeing what a wonderful difference it's made, how much more smoothly her words flow and how much more easily it is to understand the wonderful story she is telling. And the best part is that she appreciates it!! I've found that helping others is immensely satisfying, when that person is truly happy with and thankful for your help, of course.

Read
This was my favorite thing to do before I started writing and my biggest inspiration. Now, I almost never do it. I have about 50 books on my reading list and haven't read for fun in forever! Ugh! I love to read! Why am I not doing it more?!? I feel like I should be doing more productive things, like writing, cleaning (yuck!), or (gasp) playing with my children. But I need to make sure to give myself some fun time too. I don't really watch TV, although I do waste WAY too much time on Facebook (I know, another shocker). So, anyway, my goal is to waste less time surfing the 'net, and read, let's say, four fiction novels during this round. That's about one every three weeks and should be doable.

Blog/Check In
I just started my blog about a month or two ago, and I've only made a couple posts so far. For ROW80, I'm supposed to check in twice a week on my blog to share my accomplishments. I don't want to just post an update on my goals, though, cause that just seems a little boring for those (few) people who follow it. So, my goal is to post an entertaining, thought-provoking, book-reviewing, website-suggesting and/or absolutely amazing blog, with a short ROW80 update at the end, every Sunday. This seems a little overzealous for me, and I anticipate having the most trouble fulfilling this goal, but we shall see...



I appreciate any and all feedback!! What is your experience with setting goals? Do you aim high and push through? Or do you set 'em low so you don't fail? Or do you aim high, then fail miserably? Let me know! I can't wait to hear from you guys! Interaction is what this life is all about!

Becca ♥

14 comments:

Shah Wharton's WordsinSync said...

You have a lovely 'voice' and that makes me want to return :) I'm a fellow ROWer; last round was my first. Loved it. You've made some great goals - good luck through the week :) X

Janet Parfitt said...

I'm a great fan of aiming low; especially when it comes to kicking men! (Sorry guys) Great goals and a great post; I know you will amaze yourself by your achievements. I did!

fakesteph said...

These sound like great goals. I can't wait to come congratulate you when you finish your story! And go read!

Shan Jeniah Burton said...

I was also new last round. It was a life-deepening experience I am still absorbing it.

I have a few thoughts, for you.

I love your goals. You seem a bit hard on yourself. Can you be gentler, like a flower unfolding toward the sun, opening to your new writing self?

For reading with children around, I like books with shorter chapters or sections. These offer lots of natural stopping points without losing my train of thought. Easy to pick up where I left off, when a few moments arise for that.

I find that playing with the kids feeds my muse. So do playing with food,and hometending, and yardwork, and tossing firewood, and hot showers, and TV I like....

Most of all, I hope that you will embrace and enjoy and soak it all up!

Welcome!

KM Huber said...

Hey, Becca!

Fellow critique colleague, glad to see you in ROW80. Like the others, I was new last round as well; it's a great group, as you can already tell.

I agree with you about having just an update as a blog post so this time, I created a ROW80 page on my blog for specific musings/discussion but will continue posting on Wednesdays and Sundays with a summary at the bottom and a link to my goals.

The great thing about ROW80 is the ability to stretch as writer with a safety net!

Karen

Unknown said...

Thanks, Shah!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the support, Janet! I hope I can stick with it. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Steph! I hope so!

Unknown said...

You're right, Shan. One of my problems is that I'm always too hard on myself. Maybe I should make one of my goals to be more forgiving? But I feel like I never get enough done, and if I'm not hard on myself about it, I'm afraid I'll get even less done. Oh, well, we'll see...

Thanks for the support!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by, Karen! I'm really excited about ROW80! I like the idea of people checking on me, and making sure I'm working on my goals. :) I think it will keep me on task. (I hope so, anyway!)

Romelle Broas said...

Hello fellow Platform challenger. Gee, you are busy! I see you are in another challenge of setting goals with ROW80. Impressive. I understand you wanting to set a lower goal for your self, though I wouldn't call it "low." Let's just call it more "attainable." As for me, I tend to make realistic goals. And being the competitive person that I am, I'm always determined to reach the goal. I wish you the best on your writing! Great goals!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Romelle! Great to hear from another Platform Challenger! Good luck on building your platform. Hope to see you around the blogosphere more. :)

Juliana Haygert said...

Welcome to ROW80!
I like your goals. Simple but yet a challenge.
Good luck!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Juliana!

I don't know about this whole "tagged" thing, lol. We'll see what I can come up with. :)