Friday, April 13, 2012

Challenge: Tanka

Challenge Accepted!!


I find writing challenges extremely inspiring. I love a good challenge. They are fun to try, even if you don't submit your entry. I believe anything that gets you to put words on paper (or screen) is a good idea.

Yesterday, I found a wonderful poetic challenge from Robert Lee Brewer from Writer's Digest! Go read it here. A tanka is a Japanese form poem. It has five lines, each with 5, 7, 5, 7, and 7 syllables, respectively. I had never heard of tanka before, and I was intrigued. So I thought I'd give it a try. I went through my pictures for inspiration. Then I wrote a tanka. Enjoy!


Peeking through the clouds
Shining bright, into my eyes
A day is born with
Endless opportunities
If only I accept them





So, I'm throwing down the gauntlet. I challenge you to find a challenge!! Ironic, huh? If you can't find one, write a tanka. If it's short, post it below in the comments. If it's longer, post it on your blog, then come back and link to your post in the comments below. Be sure to tell what the challenge is first and link back to it so others might be inspired. Actually, do that even if you don't want to post your writing practice for public consumption. The more challenges the better!! Good luck and remember to have fun!!

4 comments:

LMFields said...

Hey there girl! Ok, taking you up on the challenge and have spent the last 30 minutes creating a tanka poem. Something to match the end of my first book, Crows Hill. Hope you enjoy!

MIRROR'S EDGE
By: LMFields

Reflections of you
Mirroring visions of me
You've helped me survive
This time, I am breaking free
Running on the mirror's edge

Unknown said...

Hey LM!! I love your poem!! And I think it has a great title!! ;) ;)

Anne Birdsong said...

Hey, Rebecca, loved your Tanka, though like you, I had never heard of them before.

Thanks for linking this up with the TALU!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Anne! So glad you stopped by.